Seeing a coat hook in a public restroom or in your hotel isn’t a red flag for most people. That’s exactly why criminals are putting them up. You and everyone else is used to seeing them on the backs of doors and walls. But now new information has come to light. And it’s terrifying. These coat hooks are actually carrying something that can ruin your life.
Don’t let their unassuming appearance trick you. Many of these coat hooks are actually a high-tech spy camera… After a recent run in in Florida, detectives are investigating reports of hidden camera planted in numerous women’s restrooms.
- “Detectives in the Upper Keys are investigating three reports involving hidden cameras found in women’s restrooms,” MCSO reported on their Facebook page.
- “In all three incidents, miniature cameras hidden in coat hooks were found mounted on the walls in the women’s restrooms. They were found at Anne’s Beach on May 26th, the Circle K Store at the 99.8 mile marker of Highway U.S. One on May 28th and in the women’s bathroom at Harry Harris Park in Tavernier today.”
The scary thing about these hidden cameras is that ANYONE can buy them online. That means if someone wants to spy on another person, they can simply spend a few dollars and get a device that few will ever notice.
Not surprisingly, these spy cameras are advertised as “home security cameras.” Unfortunately, far more people are using them to spy on women in public restrooms and in hotel rooms. Every public facility in Monroe Country has been checked for these hidden cameras. More police departments will probably be doing the same across the country. If they’re not looking for these in your local community, you need to ask why not?
- “Anyone who has a public restroom on their property needs to check them closely,” said Sheriff Ramsay. “If you find anything suspicious you think might contain a hidden camera, don’t touch it. Call us right away and we will respond,” he said.
These hidden cameras look like simple white plastic coat hooks that you can buy at any corner store. But if you look closely, you’ll see a very small hole in the top portion. This part is the lens for the camera and it’s recording everything you do. These spy cameras are motion activated. When someone enters the bathroom, they turn on. They record until either the battery runs out or the device runs out of storage space.
- “Keep in mind, though, that these are very small cameras that can be mounted in many locations and hidden in many seemingly every-day items,” said the Sheriff. Hidden camera technology has drastically changed recent. Now they can be as small as the “period at the end of a sentence,” private investigator Carrie Kerskie warns.
- “Nowadays, with the advances in technology, all you need to do is insert a MicroSD card. The battery life for these coat hooks, I looked it up, is two hours. Then, you just take it out, pop it in the computer, and you have all your images,” she told WZVN.
“It’s real simple and easy. They just walk in, hang it up, walk out, go back a few hours later and take it off.”
Please SHARE THIS WARNING with your friends and family on Facebook now!