Hayley recently experienced something most parents do when their kids are young: her son Lewis came down with a case of chickenpox.
Several doctors prescribed children’s ibuprofen, which is an anti-inflammatory medication commonly prescribed to treat chickenpox.
So, Hayley gave the meds to Lewis. After all, she thought, who are we to question a doctor’s prescription?
But Hayley was soon about to realize that while children’s ibuprofen is a perfectly normal way to treat other conditions, it’s not something that Lewis should have taken for his chickenpox.
Her son’s health began to decline. Not only did Lewis’ temperature continue to rise, but the pox became severely blistered and painful.
Despite the fact doctors said it was still a “normal” case of chickenpox, Hayley’s motherly instincts kicked in. As it turned out, Lewis contracted septicaemia and was immediately admitted to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool.
Only because Hayley persevered and took Lewis to a children’s hospital at her own accord was he able to begin the recovery process.
Now, Hayley is on a mission to warn other parents about the dangers of taking Ibuprofen to treat chickenpox.
She shared the heartbreaking images of Lewis’ reaction to the Ibuprofen and laying in his hospital bed. Her post has been shared more than 430,000 times and counting.
Not only that, but the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has since said both parents and doctors need greater awareness of the small but significant risk ibuprofen carries in chickenpox cases.”
Scroll down to see Hayley’s warning to parents in full. Please note these images are quite shocking and may be disturbing for some viewers.
This is something all parents should see, so please SHARE it with your friends on Facebook!