As a parent, you would do anything to protect your child. So can you imagine how you would feel if YOU were the one to accidentally cause them tremendous pain? This gorgeous 9-month-old baby has suffered second-degree burns from hot water in a garden hose, and now his mom is doing everything to warn other parents.
- “I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face. I didn’t think that it was burning him,” mom says.
It makes me so sad to look at this picture, because what started out as a little bit of fun, quickly turned into a horrific scene. I can only imagine how she felt afterward.
- “It’s heartbreaking. It is. It sucks. All of it was peeling. He had blisters all over the right side,” she told ABC 15 News.
- “I thought he was crying because he was mad because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face. I didn’t think that it was burning him,” she said.
She had no idea that hot water could even come out of her hose. Capt. Larry Subervi, a Phoenix firefighter, said that outside temperatures of 115 degrees heat water sitting in a hose in the sun to up to 150 degrees.
- “So at those temperatures, something as short as a 10 or 30-second exposure can result in a second-degree burn,”
Her son is expected to fully recover, she hopes this never has to happen to another child.
- “Just be careful,” she warns. “Just touch it (the water) before you spray, before you let your kids near it.”