For Vivienne Wardrop, it started out as a quick trip to the grocery store with her 10-month-old son, but then something happened. Just 24 hours after their grocery store trip, her son Logan fell very ill and was rushed to the local hospital.
For more than a week, the boy battled several illnesses, including meningitis. After investigating where the child could have been in contact with the bacterial infection, doctors suspect the grocery store shopping cart.
After the heartbreaking incident, Vivienne is strongly urging others to always sanitize shopping carts before putting their children inside.
Just 24 hours after the grocery store, Logan started vomiting. To make matters worse, he also had a high fever and severe diarrhea. “He had diarrhea everywhere,” she said. “I was trying to give him a bottle and he was vomiting.”
As Logan’s condition worsened, she brought him to the pediatrician. There, the doctor sent her back home, saying it was just a virus. By the next day, Logan did not get better and was now suffering from dehydration.
Not wanting to take any chances, Vivienne then took Logan straight to the hospital where they saved his life. The poor Australian boy spent the next 10 days in the hospital. The first 8 of which were in the intensive care unit. A traumatizing experience for any parent.
After his stay at the hospital, Logan was diagnosed with several illnesses including: adenovirus, rotavirus, salmonella and meningitis. The little child at 10-months-old had to fight for his life at such a young age.
According to the Center of Disease Control, newborns and babies are at a greater risk for contacting meningitis.
Here are some symptoms to watch out for:
- Fever, headache, and neck stiffness
- Irritation, lack of appetite, or inactivity
Bacterial meningitis spreads from person to person, but some strains can be contracted from a surface.
After the heartbreaking incident with her son, Vivienne knew she just had to warn other parents about it. When using shopping carts, be sure to disinfect the area using an antibacterial wipe before seating your child, or carry them instead. Another alternative may be to put down a blanket before placing your child into a cart.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.